Friday, January 3, 2014

Best Crime Fiction of 2013


Best Crime Fiction Read 2013

Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise is once again asking us for our Best Crime Fiction Reads of 2013.  This year I'm limiting my list to the Pick of the Month (P.O.M.) Winners...and here they are:


January P.O.M.: India Black & the Shadows of Anarchy by Carol K. Carr (2013)
February P.O.M.: Corpses at Indian Stones by Philip Wylie (1943)
March P.O.M.: A Cold & Lonely Place by Sara J. Henry (2013)
April P.O.M.: The Frozen Shroud by Martin Edwards (2013)
May P.O.M.: Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell (2013)
June P.O.M.: The Secret History by Donna Tartt (1992)
July P.O.M.: The Mummy Case Mystery by Dermot Morrah  (1933)
August P.O.M.: Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering (2013)
September P.O.M.: Death Knocks Three Times by Anthony Gilbert (1949)
October P.O.M.: Through a Glass, Darkly by Helen McCloy (1950)
November P.O.M.: The Murder Stone by Charles Todd (2003)
December P.O.M.: Maigret's Christmas by Georges Simenon (1976; all stories pre-1960)

And the overall winner for Crime Fiction of the Year?  Well...out of all of these, I gave out only one five-star rating...so the Crime Fiction Pick of the year is.... 




.... Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell.  As I say in my review (link above), this is as fine a historical mystery as I have ever read.  Well-researched, well-plotted, and absolutely absorbing.



2 comments:

Iliana said...

I've only read The Secret History from your list here so I'm taking note of these. I belong to a mystery book group and we're always looking for new writers to try. I have read one by Charles Todd (the first one in the series) and really enjoyed it.

Bev Hankins said...

Iliana: The Murder Stone is a non-series book. I haven't read any of the series yet.