Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday Snapshot: August 13

Saturday Snapshot is a meme hosted by Alyce at At Home with Books. All you have to do is "post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mr. Linky on [her] blog. Photos can be old or new, and be of anything as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give is up to you." All she asks is that you don't just post random photos that you find online. (Click pictures for close-ups.)




Leslie at Under My Apple Tree has inspired me with all her gorgeous bird pictures. I am nowhere near the bird photographer that she is and my feathered friends don't seem to want to pose as nicely (or I'm just not as patient...), but here are a few pictures from a walk that my parents and I took in May 2010. Oh...and I am not a birder--I recognize the more common birds (robin, cardinals, blue jays, etc.) but am fuzzy on most anything else. If you know precisely what this yellow beauty is, please let me know. Thanks!



12 comments:

Trish said...

Gosh, I have no idea what kind of a bird that is. He's too big for a goldfinch but he sure is pretty.

Vicki said...

I don't think I've ever seen a bird like this. Sure is pretty!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Thanks for the mention. I'm so glad people enjoy my bird photos.

That's a pretty bird you found on your walk. Looks like an Oriole. If you're in the central or eastern US or Canada it's probably a Baltimore Oriole.

You need a zoom lens, a lot of patience plus a little luck. I've spent way too much time hiding behind fences, shrubs and trees waiting for the birds to forget I'm there so I can get a good shot!

bermudaonion said...

Your bird is gorgeous! I was going to say I was sure Leslie could identify it, but I see she already has!

Alyce said...

My guess would have been finch, but like you said, it's too big. I'm glad Leslie was able to solve that mystery. :) I have very basic bird knowledge too.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great shots! I'm not an expert either, but I do enjoy these photos.

Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

In the second photo, if the bird's body is a right orange then it would be a Baltimore Oriole, but if the body is yellow with speckled wing colour, then it could be a female blue-grey tanager from the wing markings.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of a beautiful bird. I've no idea what it is, being from another part of the world and all, but it really looks good.

Lisa said...

I like that because you have to search for the bird a little. Stealth bird shot!

Here's my Snapshot.

Bev Hankins said...

It was definitely yellow...not orange. Don't know about the speckled wing color though.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

I just invested in a bird identification book so my kids and I can do some bird watching. Didn't see that one in there though.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

It's a lovely bird, whatever it is. Loved the photo.