Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday


This week at Top Ten Tuesday (brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish) the topic is the Top Ten Books I'm Dying to Read.

Okay....I just figured out that I have about 1500 books on my TBR lists. And that's only counting the ones I've remembered to write down at some point and not the ones that I see mentioned somewhere, think "yeah, that sounds good!" and then forget to make a note of. And I'm supposed to pick only ten? Hmmm. This may be a toughie. But here we go:

1. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (translated by Dorothy L Sayers). I am both intimidated and excited by this one. I have wanted to read it for a long time, but it is so-o-o-o-o out of my period that it scares me a bit.

2. Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Another that has been on the TBR list for a long time. I loved The Moonstone and look forward to this one.

3. Crime on Her Mind: Fifteen Stories of Female Sleuths from the Victorian Era to the Forties by Michele Slung (ed)

4. The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White. I've seen the Hitchcock movie based on this novel and have always wanted to read the book.

5. C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; and That Hideous Strength

6. Emma by Jane Austen

7. The Complete Poetry & Selected Prose of John Donne

8. Poems & Prose by Christina Rossetti

9. The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer & the 19th Century Literary Imagination by Sandra M Gilbert & Susan Gubar

10. On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts by Thomas de Quincey

These are all books that I have owned or wanted to read for quite some time and just don't seem to move off the TBR list into my reading pile. Most of them I won't get to any time soon (unfortunately) because I have reading challenge commitments to fulfill (Dante will be read, though!)


5 comments:

IngridLola said...

Out of curiosity ... why the sayers translation?

Roof Beam Reader said...

Ah, The Madwoman in the Attic is an amazing piece of literary criticism. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned on anyone elses blog (other than mine). Highly recommended, particularly if you're into feminist theory/criticism.

Bev Hankins said...

@IngridLola...because I love Sayers. Both her Wimsey detective novels and her Christian writings. I'm very interested in how she has handled Dante.

@RoofBeam Reader. I've known Susan Gubar for the last ten years. I've wanted to read this ever since I first met her...just haven't managed to get to it. (like so many in the TBR pile--if I'd pay attention to my husband and not buy anymore until I've read what I've got....but where's the fun in that?)

brandileigh2003 said...

Nice list! I am thinking of doing this!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Hey, Emma was on my first list, too.

-Anne
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com