Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Soulless


As I mentioned in my WWW Wednesday post, I kind of stumbled on to Soulless by Gail Carriger. I found Carriger's books mentioned on another blog site (Adventure Into Romance) and it sounded so good, I just had to run right out to the library and grab the first two of the series. This series stars Alexia Tarabotti, a preternatural--born without a soul, and takes place in an alternate Victorian era where vampires, werewolves and other supernatural creatures have been accepted into mainstream British society. After accidentally killing a vampire who so forgot the rules of etiquette to neglect to ask before attempting to bite her neck, Alexia finds herself drawn further and further into a plot that involves the disappearance of known vampires and werewolves and the appearance of unknowns. Who is behind these disappearances and to what purpose? Soon Alexia finds that she knows more about these questions than may be quite safe. Helping Alexia get to the bottom of the mystery (and vice versa), we have Lord Macon (the loud, messy, gorgeous Alpha male of the London werewolves). When these two forceful characters get together, the sparks fly. In more ways than one. The romantic interplay is also a draw for this series.

This book is way outside my usual comfort zone...I don't usually do the supernatural/steampunk. But the description on the back of the book and the fact that it plays on one of my favorite time periods lured me right in. And I'm glad it did. This was such a fun book and a fast read. Alexia Tarabotti is a very forthright young woman and holds her own with the Alpha male of the werewolves as well as bearding the queen of the local vampires in her den. Cliches may abound, but they are used to such humorous effect that they don't jar the nerves.

One thing that does bother me though....what's up with her posture on the cover? People just don't stand that way.

If you're looking for something a little bit Victorian, a little bit sassy, a little bit sexy, and a whole lot of fun, then this just may be the series for you. The vampires don't sparkle...but a few of them do wear lace. Three out of five stars on Visual Bookshelf.
This book also qualifies for Reading At The Beach's A-Z Wednesday. This week's letter is "G." To play along, you read a book from your stacks where the author's name (first or last) begins with the posted letter. Then go to the link and post your review in the comments. Go check out what other bloggers have read. And have fun!

10 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Yeah, that is an odd cover -- not sure what the deal is with the choices made for books these days!

I don't mind a good supernatural story, vampires, etc., so I may have to grab this one!

Tasha said...

Sometimes reading outside your comfort zone brings about some great things. It's definitely worth doing once in a while. I've had this book on my wishlist for a while now - it's well within my comfort zone lol. I really need to get round to getting it soon though as it sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing a great review and for taking part in Read My Review

Anonymous said...

This is the second time I've seen this book today!

Thanks for playing A-Z Wednesday!

Beverly said...

I have read the first two in this series and just got Blameless - can't wait - loved the first two!

Kristin said...

I've seen this book a bunch of times lately, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Lit Addicted Brit said...

This book has been on my wishlist for ages but has only been released in the UK in the past two weeks so it's been I have been able to satisfy my urge yet - can't wait to get to it!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

For a minute, I thought I'd already been here, but no...it's that I've seen this book before! lol

It must be good....

Thanks for visiting my blog.

brandileigh2003 said...

Thanks for sharing, this looks like one that I might enjoy, but is also a bit out of my comfort zone.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

WonderBunny said...

I liked this series. I finished Blameless last week.

What really cracks me up is that in all three books she is wearing the same dress...but they just photoshopped it to different colors.

LupLun said...

Sounds good. Might check it out soon.